Show me an example

Friday, June 12, 2009

Apple Recipes: Southern Apple Toddy

Wash and core, but do not peel, six large, fair apples, bake, covered, until tender through and through, put into an earthen bowl and strew with cloves, mace, and bruised ginger, also six lumps of Domino sugar for each apple. Pour over a quart of full-boiling water, let stand covered fifteen minutes in a warm place. Then add a quart of mellow whiskey, leave standing ten minutes longer, and keep warm.

Serve in big deep goblets, putting an apple or half of one in the bottom of each, and filling with the liquor. Grate nutmeg on top just at the minute of serving.

From "Dishes and Beverages of the Old South", Martha McCulloch Williams, 1913.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Very informative and helpful… I can see that you put a lot of hard work on your blog, I'm sure I'd visit here more often. Maybe, you want to come by my site too. It's mainly about Do it Yourself Credit Repair . I'm sure you'd find it useful. thanks!

    ReplyDelete